Success Stories: Developing a Commuter Policy
A multinational manufacturing company sought BGRS’s support to design their commuter policy for U.S. domestic moves. The client’s objective was to ensure equity and consistency in meeting employee needs while achieving employee mobility business objectives.
HQ Region:NORTH AMERICA
Program Size:400 mobile employees
- U.S. Domestic Talent Mobility Program Administration
- Talent Mobility Consulting
- Lump-Sum Relocation Management
- Financial Services
- Expense Management
- Cost Estimates
The organization, a long-term BGRS client, sought alternatives to U.S. domestic employee relocations for certain specialist roles in locations where dual-careers and children’s educational needs could not be easily accommodated.
In developing a commuter program, their objectives included:
- Enhancing the employee experience by offering choice while securing assignment acceptance
- Defining mobility type and consistent and equitable eligibility criteria
- Developing a formal benefits structure and governance around program administration
- Establishing program performance reporting to measure program uptake, cost, and employee satisfaction
- Ensuring the program can be administered as part of their broader outsourced mobility management solution
"Employee experience is critical to our organization. As employee diversity grows and their needs change, the mobility team is focused on strategically partnering with our service providers and internal business unit managers to find new ways to mobilize key employees."
Mobility Program Manager
BGRS’s Mobility Experience Solutions group conducted a comprehensive business requirement gathering across key client stakeholders, including the mobility program manager, head of compensation and benefits, and head of tax and compliance. A tailored advisory services solution was designed to:
- Define domestic commuters as a formal mobility option with clear distinctions from remote work and extended business travel
- Develop a commuter benefits structure including eligibility criteria, duration of benefits, and package tiers
- Due to the rarity of U.S. domestic commuter policies and limited availability of market data, BGRS supplemented the benchmark data with tailored benefits identified through client consultations to develop the policy and governance framework
- Create cost estimates by location and benefit type then further align into a 3-tier program based on assignment length and seniority
- Deliver a stakeholder framework outlining roles and responsibilities between the hiring manager, mobility team, Human Resources, mobility management service partners, and the commuting employee
- Implement a reporting framework to track commuter volume, renewal dates, benefits usage, and overall program cost.
"After engaging with BGRS to develop a commuter policy, we are able to support the needs of the commuter employees in a more controlled, consistent, and equitable manner."
Mobility Program Manager
RESULTS AND OUTCOMES
The consultancy engagement resulted in the implementation of a streamlined commuter policy with the following key positive outcomes for the client:
- Shifting from an exception-based use of commuter assignments to a formal outsourced program providing hiring managers and employees with choice while ensuring corporate governance and freeing internal HR resources
- Establishing full visibility into and control of the commuter program, cost and compliance, which in the first year of the commuter assignment resulted in up to 65% of cost optimization when compared to a full relocation
- Positively impacting the employee experience with an employee satisfaction rate of 100% in 2020
- Offering a new solution temporarily when the commuter policy was heavily relied on for critical employees who were not able to permanently relocate during the COVID-19 pandemic
Understanding and meeting stakeholder needs is important to the success of every mobility program. In the case of new mobility types, obtaining reliable market information and external guidance is often critical. Through the partnership with BGRS, the client was able to design and deliver a tailored program for their organization.